Headaches are so commonplace in our lives, that most people don’t give them a second thought. Our chiropractic and medical providers here at Nevy see a lot of patients suffering from headaches. The majority seem to think that they are just a part of life and that one must ‘roll with the punches’ and deal with them as they come or cover them up with ibuprofen or acetaminophen. What if there was more to that little throbbing sensation than you might first realize? In this article, we will briefly touch on five of the most common triggers of the not-so-common headache.
- Dehydration is probably the most common cause of headaches. When the body becomes dehydrated, whether it be from exercise, sweating, or simply lack of important fluids, the brain actually physically contracts and pulls away from the skull, which in turn, causes the headache. Quickly hydrating will cause the brain to relax and return to its normal state. STAYING hydrated can help prevent such an occurrence. When daily hydration isn’t enough, our team offer IV hydration which may help to quickly alleviate some of your symptoms.
- Our second headache trigger would be that of posture. Sitting up straight or having correct sleeping posture is essential to good blood flow. When the body is slumped in a chair, or perhaps you are using a pillow that is causing the head to elevate at an unhealthy angle, the blood flow to the brain becomes constricted. This is especially true for poor posture while sitting at a desk, staring at a computer all day. It is important to make sure you listen to your mom and sit up straight! Just as important, is to get up and move around on a regular basis throughout the day. This helps with blood flow and circulation and can help prevent headaches. Regular chiropractic adjustments can also help to ensure your posture is at its best.
- Third would be anxiety. Are you currently freaking out about anything? Are you worried about the current state of your relationship? What about finances? Are you losing sleep worrying about getting everything accomplished at work? Whatever the case, stress can play a major factor in potentially creating the throbbing you are feeling behind your eyeballs. Remember to take a breath and relax. Staying calm has many benefits; keeping headaches at bay could very well be one of them. Go for a long walk with a close friend, schedule a massage, or focus on planning ahead to reduce anxiety in your life.
- Fourth, we should talk about sensory overload. Life is so hectic for so many of us, that it is hard to imagine what life would be like if things were slower paced. Headaches can also be brought on by the overloading of one’s senses. Whether it be glare from a window covered building, the noise from a jackhammer as you pass by on your way to work, or even the smell of someone’s food heating up in the microwave, our senses are a direct trigger to brain activity and by overloading them, it ca
n potentially bring on the headache you have so adamantly tried to avoid.
- Food sensitivities and allergies. Lastly, although probably the least well known, is the number one potential cause of headaches. We are talking about food sensitivities and allergies. Everyone knows about food allergies, but food ‘sensitivities’ are not as commonplace. Everything we eat, and drink can potentially trigger a headache. It was only but a few years ago, that they realized MSG was one of the major triggers, frequently found in Asian food. Other triggers could be aspartame, caffeine, alcohol, dairy, and so many others. When a headache comes knocking, take an inventory of what you have recently consumed that may have potentially been the trigger. It’s not as uncommon as you might think. If you suspect that your nutrition or food sensitivities might be causing your headaches, a Live Blood Analysis with Dr. Laurie Pavtis could help you on the path toward answers. Come in to Nevy Health to get your allergies tested, to see if you’re allergic to anything that could be causing your allergies.
While there are many other headache triggers, these five are the most common, and the easiest ones to regulate. Nevy Health offers a variety of option and treatments. We can help you with anything from diet analysis and treatment to posture adjustment and therapy.