The skin is the largest organ in the body – did you know that? Not only does it make up 15% of the average adult’s body weight, but it makes up the Integumentary system. With it’s primary function to protect you – it’s only fair to protect IT!
Summer Skincare is HARD though – we get it. Thankfully, Lauren Loftis PA-C is here to help us get SKIN-DEEP as we dive deep into Dermatology! Take it away Lauren!
1) Sunscreen when going out…always. Choose a product with at least SPF30 and reapply every 2 hours, especially if swimming or sweating. Don’t forget the top of your head and ears!
2) Don’t forget your lips and eyes! Did you know our lips and eyes can get sunburned too? To avoid this, always choose lip products with SPF and sunglasses that protect against both UVA and UVB waves when outside. Even 5 to 10 minutes of sun exposure adds up over time.
3) Hydrate for radiant skin. During the summer we are more prone to dehydration- so as a rule of thumb- aim to drink between a half to one ounce of water for each pound you weight each day. P.S. water doesn’t have to be boring…jazz it up with fresh fruit, mint, ginger, or whatever your heart desires for a twist and a little more flavor!
4) Swap your products. Summer is the perfect time to switch heavy moisturizers and makeup for lighter versions. Exchange heavy creams and foundations for lotions, skin tints, gels and oil free products to keep your face from feeling heavy throughout the day. Added bonus- keep your skincare and lotions in the fridge for an added dose of cool.
5) Wash face nightly. Throughout the day, our skin builds up an extra layer of sweat, dirt, and oil. Add in moisturizer, sunscreen, and makeup- you have the perfect recipe for rashes, irritation and acne. Choose a cleanser or even hypoallergenic bar soap to wash away the grime of the day to keep skin balanced and happy.
Most importantly – if you feel like you could use a hand taking care of this beautiful organ that takes care of you – give us a call! We’ll schedule you with Lauren Loftis PA-C and get you started on your skincare journey today! 480-833-0302 option 2.